Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Here is my devotional for today from the church I go to

I thought this was a good one for today. I am sitting here doing my devotional but am thinking about what i need to go buy at the store fr Christmas. I have such a difficult time concentrating when I am studying, I need to focus and not let the other "business" stuff in. I bet you guys are just like me. Well, I am certainly going to make an effort to give God my undivided attention when doing my Bible study. He deserves that and so much more. Let me know what you o to focus on your time with Him. If you read my blog, I love to get a little feed back. it's easy , just click on comments and you can leave me a note. you can do it anonymously. I love a little message every now and then. If you have a prayer request let me know. Have a great day. i am going to study now.
Please read this.... if you are not too busy.
Too Busy
Based on “People Have Problems – God Has Answers, Part 1” by Pastor Mark Balmer; 11/29-30/08, Message #2467; Daily Devotional #1 - “Too Busy”

Preparing the Soil (Introduction): “Beware the barrenness of a busy life.” Socrates

“A man can’t be always defending the truth; there must be a time for him to feed on it.” C. S. Lewis

BLESSED (HAPPY, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, their plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather. But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night. Psalm 1:1-2 (AMP)

Planting and Watering the Seed (Growth): Busy. Busy. Busy. That seems to be our standard reply to the question, “How are you?” What are we so busy doing? In our eyes, probably all good things. In addition to maintaining our home life and relationships, there’s work, school, car pool, not to mention the many ways we serve in ministry at church. We are so busy “doing” that too often we don’t stop to find out what priorities God has for us. Even our devotional time with the Lord is hurried to the point that it is just another item to be checked off our “to do list.” Read the Bible—check. Pray—check. Write in our journal—check. God wants to be in a relationship with us, not an add-in to our schedule. Our relationship with the Lord should be a desire, not a chore.

Harvesting the Crop (Action/Response): Recently I wrote down everything I was doing as well as the different roles I currently have: Christ-follower, wife, teacher, devotion writer—the list grew pretty lengthy. I realized by seeing it all in print that my activities had thrown my life way out of balance. As I looked at the list, I asked God in my quiet time to show me why I was doing these things. Had He called me to them? Yes, to some, but I must admit I was doing some things because I was too prideful to acknowledge I couldn’t do it all, or too concerned about what others would think of me if I said “no.” I had lost my focus. I want to be more concerned about what God thinks and doing what He has set before me. My activities were keeping me from lingering in the presence of God. That’s exactly where we all need to be in order for our lives and ministry to be an outflow of His power. Consequently, several things needed to go. I’ve had to disappoint some folks by not meeting their expectations. But in the end, I must answer to God for what I am allowing Him to do through me. We all need to be challenged and, from time to time, take a look at our priorities. Are we so busy that our relationship with God suffers, as well as our relationships with others? Sit before the Lord; maybe even write out everything you are doing. Ask Him to reveal His priorities. He will always show us the way.

Cultivating (Additional Reading): Psalm 119
NLG

No comments:

Post a Comment